Sunday, March 14, 2010

Surf's Up!


Surfing lessons were awesome!  Cherri's boyfriend was a very good teacher and very patient.  I got up five or six times and had one truly amazing ride.  Bryan did very well (better than me by a long shot) and got up multiple times and had several good rides.  After a while though, my wrist and elbow and ankle (all on the right side of course) started screaming.  I pushed it through a few more waves; then I had to stop.  Creve (I think that's how to spell it) was very understanding.  I gave him my board--after all, we'd already paid for it, someone might as well get some use out of it!--and I went body surfing for a bit.  Then I had the bright idea to go back to La Palapa and get the camera!

I met Cherri there (I had left our keys with her) and, after getting the camera, we walked back down to where the boys were still surfing.  Cherri's moving back to her hometown of San Jose on Thursday, and tomorrow is her last day.  I'll miss getting to talk with her, but she seems glad to be going back.  Our walk took a bit--Creve had wanted us to get to the sandiest part of the beach, since several areas have a lot of shells and some (like the La Palapa beach) have rocks.  Those places are beautiful--just not for surfing!

I got several good pics of the guys surfing.  Cherri mentioned us maybe hanging out before she leaves--maybe if Bryan rents a surfboard on Tuesday.  By this point though, my joints were aching and I have several spots of board rash--but it was totally worth it!  I can understand how surfers become obsessed with their sport.

After surfing, Bryan and I showered and relaxed for a bit.  We were getting ready to run errands when Amber and Hunter knocked on the door.  They had an amazing time on their kayak-snorkel trip.  We all headed to the store next door so Bryan and I could buy more sunscreen, and so that Hunter and I could buy floppy hats for tomorrow's horseback ride!  After that, we took some pictures in La Palapa's tree house and on the beach before heading to the hotel restaurant for dinner.  To drink, I had a mixed daiquiri (wonderful!) and my second (B1G1 remember? :-) ) was a pineapple daiquiri.  I didn't want to get a sugar stomach ache again, so I didn't finish the second.  Hunter had a pina colada and Amber a margarita on the rocks--they repeated their orders for their second drinks but switched with each other when their seconds came.  Bryan stuck with Coke and seems to be feeling better tonight as a result.  Hunter and I had the La Palapa pasta, Amber the chicken quesadillas, and Bryan the red snapper with vegetables and arroz (delicioso!).  We all shared Amber's guacamole--Bryan and I will catch the appetizer next time.

Now, Bryan and I have returned to the room after paying for our part of the check.  We're channel surfing to unwind.  Amazingly, there are several English channels available, including Cartoon Network, HBO, and Discovery! Oh, and CNN and Fox News!  I am so happy right now--on an amazing vacation with my love :-).  And on that sappy note--to bed!  We have to be out front by 8AM for tomorrow's horseback-snorkel-mangrove tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment